Friday, August 1, 2008

Sunday Pickup

NOTE: Daylight savings and warm weather means pick-up now starts at 4:00 on Sundays. It's at Willows Oval, ANU.

Long, long ago, Sunday Pickup was something of an institution among the Canberra frisbee folk. I remember taking the half and hour bus trip to Willows Oval to play ultimate with a mix of players from the very-very-good to the even-worse-than-me. Over the years, however, the stalwarts that bulked out pickup numbers and ensured games would go ahead were siphoned off into club teams and didn't have time to play purely social ultimate on top of their training loads. I was first schooled by both Chris Warris and Owen Shepherd at Sunday pickup, Sunday pickup was where I first had my pulling license granted (and revoked), and I was skied possibly thousands of times by Dan Wilkins regardless of how well I thought I had read the disc.

Thankfully, the vast hordes of players in divisions two and three have finally started producing players motivated enough to revive these traditions. So, it is with great pleasure that I announce the resumption of Sunday Pickup, brought to you by my favorite division two team, the Devolutionaries.

You are all cordially invited to make your way down to Willows Oval, (corner of Barry Drive and Sulivan's Creek Road) at 4:00 on Sunday afternoons to enjoy a game of ultimate that can be as easy or as strenuous as you want to make it. Just bring one light and one dark coloured shirt so you can play for either team.

See ya'll there.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...

    This hasn't happened for a couple of weeks due to the absence from Canberra of Sunday Pickup's highly regarded leader, Katie Smith. I hereby put my hand-up to help with Sunday Pickup's organisation, cos I love my Sunday arvo frisbee fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can someone advise if Sunday Pickup is still on? If so what are non daylight saving times? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. up! As Andrew said... Is it still going on? What's up next sunday?

    ReplyDelete