Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Final day wrap-up

OK, I've missed a few days and left you all hanging. Sorry, I've been a bit distracted. Here's the update for the last day's play.

On Friday morning Kaboom squared off against the original first seed Axis of C'vill from the states. We'd been chafing to play some Americans for a while and this game was our big chance. I'm not actually sure what happened unfortunately because I had to go to hospital to get my knee checked out. Mica came too to translate so the team was down 2 handlers. Apparently we were scrappy in the first half and went down 9-3 before stepping up in the second half and bringing the score back to 17-13 or something like that. Again, we got a bunch of the disc and our offense needed to convert. The team did well to stay motivated and fight hard after the dissapointment of the day before.

In the afternoon Mica and I rejoined the team for our final game for the 11th/12th playoff. We played Canada's Chaos again and it was clear from the start that we wanted the game more. We were willing to tough it out and be patient to score, we played for each other on O and D and within no time we were pummeling the hapless Canucks. They lacked the heart to run with us and we're willing to play for each other so late in the tournament. It was awesome to see Kaboom still working for each other and playing as a team in the last game and it was a performance we were all proud of. We shortened the game to a 15 point cap and won something like 15-9.

With a final record of 9 wins and 2 losses we had a bunch of good results. It's a shame that our record only took us as far as 11th but we played as a team and showed we were totally capable of mixing it with the best teams in the world. Pie Wagon and Smurf made it through to the quarters then played off for 5th and 6th (Newwie got up) so it was a really strong performance from the Australian teams in general.

As for the knee, I've torn my ACL and there's some bone or cartelidge floating around in the joint. I'm working with my insurance company to come back to Canberra to get surgery so I can on with my rehab and get back to business soon.

I want to say a huge thanks to Kaboom for all their work over the last 2 years. It's been a huge effort from everyone involved and I hope we built a club they're all proud of. It's been a real priveledge to coach and work with everyone and we've all improved heaps through the process. Good luck with the rest of your travels and I'll see most of you back in Canberra soon.

And if you ever wanted to know what the inside of a badly swollen knee looks like, just go to a Czech hospital. It looks like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment