Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This week's player profile: Charli Kesteven

Charli Kesteven is one of ACT ultimate's rising stars, having been selected for the Australian Under 19 Women's Team to compete at the world championships in Vancouver later this year. Charli took time out from her busy training schedual to create a facebook page which I have ruthlessly pillaged to create this totally bogus interview:

CUB: So Charli, I hear you're to don the green and gold later this year. Tell us about that.
Charli: Yeah, well I went to the selection camps in January and March of this year in Melbourne, and obviously the selectors liked my style. I'm playing for the under 19 women's team. We'll be looking to notch up some wins against the stronger junior women's teams, Canada, the US and Great Britain.

CUB: Right, how long have you been playing?
Charli: Well, I haven't written that on my facebook profile, nor are the details readily available on the AFDA website, so that's not entirely clear. Of course, I went to training for the ANU last year, and you were there, so you should know that I've been playing for around 18 months. I started taking ultimate more seriously towards the end of last year as I built towards selection for the worlds team.

CUB: Of course. If only this was a real interview. The records from the CUB clipboard indicate that you played nationals this year. How was that?
Charli: It was good. I ended up playing for the Hills Angels, and was instrumental in our victory over Minx late in the tournament. Of course, it's hard for a player like me to come onto a new team without any training, and it definitely took a few days to adjust to their style.

CUB: Hills Angels have 'a style'?
Charli: Yeah, I'm probably a defensive receiver, although again my facebook profile doesn't make this clear, and while my athleticism and intensity work on any team, it's often hard to know what your responsibilities are on D on someone elses team. Once we get the disc for offense it's even harder.

CUB: I'm sure. Aside from dominating your player on D, what else are you up to?
Charli: Well, I'm studying at the ANU, I work part-time and like to read.

CUB: You mean that between uni, ultimate (including training for worlds), and work you still have time to read?
Charli: Sure, training for worlds is definitely time consuming, but it hardly ruins my life. I recently read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". I'd give it five stars!

CUB: Wow! Literate and athletic. Some people have it all. Well, thanks for maintaining that facebook page.
Charli: No worries, I'd better get back to my quota of 400 squat-jumps for the day.

So there you have it. Charli Kesteven, a name to watch over the next few months and a definite player to watch on the score-o-matic website this August. Good luck to all our worlds players!

Stay tuned for next week's player profile as we bring you the unforceable man, James Ley.

No comments:

Post a Comment