Thursday, September 18, 2008

The end of Hibernation

Well, Winter is finally over. Not only has the woefully inaccurate Augustine Calendar marked the coming of Spring, but the far more accurate Frisbee Calendar has finally wrapped up its winter leagues and begun gearing up for Spring.

So, what happened at the end of Winter? Well, after I put myself out on a limb with my tips for the final round of WOL I was proven wrong as the ANU came from nowhere to clinch the title. They definitely improved over the final two rounds and in the end did well to deservingly win their final. The Mavericks, hampered by a short roster, put up a brave fight but didn't have the legs to pull the game back into their grasp. They came back from something like 9-5 down to bring the game to universe point at 11 all, but a great grab from Nat Cheong sealed the deal for the bookish ANU kids. Of course, more people were interested in the BBQ, where the harworking WOL organisers cooked up a stir fry with REAL VEGETABLES rather than the traditional "food made from industrial waste" sausages that are standard fare at most finals. Even the weather seemed keen to support the ANU, after threatening to rain all morning the heavens cleared for a beautiful spring afternoon of ultimate. Thanks must go to the crowd who stayed around to enjoy food, beer and a suprisingly reasonable game of ultimate.

The Winter Indoor League finals were back at the very start of September, and not only did I not watch the final I've forgotten the details anyway. Sorry. I was, however, watching two random teams play off for minor placings and thoroughly enjoying watching Twatson get schooled by the Hind sisters, who usually play for Div 2 team "The Bretheren". It's great to see so many keen and athletic players playing in our leagues. I hope that the development sessions we run during spring league give these players an opportunity to learn some new tricks.

The Kaboom Mixed Club is getting firmly into gear, with our final roster for our top team confirmed and the rosters for our next two teams being finalised now. I'll put that up in a separate post.

Also confirmed are the formats for the next two leagues. There are set to be some big changes to Div 1, so stay tuned and I'll try to post soon (as opposed to almost never, like I have been). Anyway, I'd better go eat something, since I keep meeting people for lunch without actually having the lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment